5.23.2010

Never Again

I've played a lot of bad games in my lifetime. A few years ago when I played for 2nd Floor we got blown out by a team with two egots on it. They were hitting shots left and right, and we couldn't stop 'em. We couldn't stop their teammates either. (Well, we couldn't stop their teammates from running their mouths).

Getting blown out by a team with egots is something I don't mind. If they're good, I want the task of defending 'em so I can get better. Because playing against Asian dudes in the lowest division of an Asian basketball league is a good way to ensure your skill level doesn't increase. You can argue that if someone's good, he'll be able to dominate a low division. That just doesn't apply to me though. The old saying, "You play down to the level of your competition" comes to mind when I look back on the past six years of my basketball life. I'm not good right now because I haven't been playing against good competition.

My team was forced to move up to a higher division because only three other teams registered for the division we signed up for. So in our first game in this new division, we played a squad today with two black dudes on it. (Something I haven't seen since the 2nd Floor debacle I previously talked about, but I was happy to play against better comp). They were both tall, athletic, and hit a lot of their shots. Their supporting cast was aite, but they talked more shit than they put up points. And that's something I can't stand.

When asian dudes who only put up 10% of their team's points talk shit, it annoys me. Why the fuck would you think you're all that when all you do is set screens, swing the ball, and watch the two black guys score all your points?

What really pissed me of today is that I let the other team's shit talking get to my head. I locked up my guy on D, but I played terribly on the offensive end. I looked like a fuckin' clown missing wide open threes and layups. How could I let a bunch of non-factors on the other team turn me into a non-factor for mine? I mean, it's bad enough that I'm not the nicest player on the court ... or even my team for that matter. But surely I could've made better decisions with the ball when it was in my hands. It was so bad that they were letting me shoot because they knew I wasn't going to knock anything down. When that happens, it's usually because I'm tired as fuck and start forcing shit. That's not an excuse anymore because I'm in the best physical shape I've been in for years. So the reason I couldn't hit anything was because I couldn't get my mind right.

But fuck that, man. I hate the way I feel right now. I'm never going to have a mental break down on the court like that again. I'm gonna start torching mother fuckers from now on. Don't believe me? Come out to my next game on June 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment